What is term Health?
The term “health”, indicates not merely the absence of disease or illness; it also includes the physical, mental, social, ergonomically elements affecting health, which are directly related to safety and hygiene at work.
What is the safety?
The “protection of people from physical injury” – Eg. Cuts, crush, amputation, etc. It refers to a workplace having an acceptable degree of freedom from risk (i.e) Risk is reduced as low as reasonably practicable.
List three benefits to you and your organization of carrying out a risk assessment.
- Meet legal requirements.
- Identify whether you’re doing enough to protect your workforce and others.
- Demonstrate good business practice.
- Improve business performance.
- Potential cost savings
- Reduced insurance premiums
- Enhance reputation.
- Create a positive health and safety culture.
- Enhance communication within the organization.
What is welfare?
Welfare is defined as ‘taking care of the basic needs of the people’s’., Access to basic facilities such as toilet facilities, hand-wash stations, changing rooms, rest rooms, places where food can be prepared and eaten in relatively hygienic conditions, drinking water and basic first-aid provision.
What is term occupational illness?
An “occupational illness” is a chronic ailment caused by exposure – typically over a prolonged period to workplace hazards or work activities. Occupational illness is a serious problem for businesses. In fact, more legal claims result from occupational ill-health issues than any other work-related safety issue.
What is the accident?
It is an unexpected or unplanned event that may or may not result in injury, damage, loss of property, or death.
What is Likelihood
The state of “likelihood” is used to refer to the chance of something happening or reasonable probability of occurring.
What is the hazard?
A “hazard”is any source of potential damage, harm or adverse health effects on something or someone. For example, to people as health effects, to organizations as property or equipment losses, or to the environment).
What is work method statement?
An explanation of the numerous techniques used to complete a certain task. It also includes a discussion on these activities’ safety precautions.
What use does the work method statement serve?
Ans: A work method statement outlines the process that will be used to complete a certain task. The working group will have total awareness as a result. On the basis of the WMS, a JSA may be created. In fact, it aids in doing the task safely.
What is the incident?
An unexpected event that happens at or off the work place which did not resulted any loss to man, material or equipment etc. It can be termed “incident”.
What is the injury?
It is defined as a harmful condition sustained by the body as a result of an accident.
What is safety policy?
Any company has a social and legal obligation to provide a safe and healthy work environment for all its employees.
What is safety tag?
Safety tag can be defined a surface made of cardboard or paperboard on which local English languages letters written for warning safety instructions to employees.
What is safety program?
Safety program can be defined as five methods by which accident can be prevented easily they are engineering, education, enforcement, enthusiasm and example safety programs are plain spoken and carry out specific legal steps.
What is Hazardous Event?
A “hazardous event” takes place when someone or something interacts with the hazards and allows it to cause harm.
What is near miss?
A “near miss” is an event that did not result in injury, illness, or damage – but could have potentially resulted in loss man, material or equipment.
What is risk assessment?
Risk assessment is a term used to describe the overall process or method where you:
- Hazard identification – Identify hazards and risk factors that have the potential to cause harm.
- Risk analysis and Risk evaluation – Analyze and evaluate the risk associated with that hazard.
- Risk control – Determine appropriate ways to eliminate the hazard, or control the risk when the hazard cannot be eliminated.
What is emergency planning?
Emergency planning can be defined as a control procedure. It can control accidents, protect people and provide information to the media.
What is work at height?
Any work that is more than two meters above the ground causes work to occur at a height.
What is work permit system?
Work permit system is “written documents” for permission to do work by the responsible area, or is a written document issued by the responsible area to the performer to carry out the specified task.
What is confined space?
A small, enclosed area or an area where there is one of the entrances and exits or where a man cannot work comfortably anywhere that causes a confined space.
What is scaffolding?
It is a temporary platform created to support both men, materials and work safety at the construction site.
What is UEL?
The maximum proportion of vapor, gases and dust in the air that indicates that a flame does not occur on contact with an ignition source is called the UEL.
What is manual handling?
The process of lifting, carrying and stacking materials by human being is called manual handling.
What precautions are necessary for electrical work?
- 1. During thunderstorm do not stand under the tree
- 2. The proper signboard is necessary
- 3. All electrical installations shall be as per standard electricity rules
- 4. Only competent persons should handle the electrical equipment.
- 5. All temporary electric lines should be drawn at least above man’s height
- 6. Cable should be completely insulted
- 7. The equipment should be earthed properly
- 8. Only connection for one point
- 9. Good housekeeping in the area
- 10. Cable should not have any joints
- 11. Use good quality of wire
- 12. Power isolation close to the job
- 13. Fire protection equipment to be kept nearby
- 14. Use rubber gloves and rubber boots
- 15. Never stand wet surface while working electrical equipment
- 16. No person shall work on any live electrical conductor
- 17. Use three pin plug instead of loose wire
- 18. Never operate any electrical equipment with wet hands
- 19. The switch shall only be put on by the person who switched it off
What are the General safety precautions in construction?
- 1. Adequate firefighting equipment should be available
- 2. All general electrical rules should be followed
- 3. Very short duration of work red flags must be hoisted and more duration red banners must be stretched
- 4. Defective tools should not be used
- 5. The moving parts of grinding machines used construction site should be covered with guards
- 6. Excavated material should not be kept near the excavated
- 7. Suitable lighting arrangements should be necessary at night work
- 8. Adequate first aid equipment should be kept ready
- 9. The worker should not carry tools in his hands when climbing a ladder
- 10. Excavation should be guarded by suitable fencing
- 11. Workmen at height should be wearing safety belts
- 12. Workmen handling cement should be provided with goggles, rubber gloves and rubber boots by nose mask.
- 13. The moving parts of grinding machines used construction site should be covered with guards
Who is a Competent Person?
A competent person is someone who meets the requirements for a certain work, has that experience, and has the skills required to carry out the specified tasks.